Ander is reimagining the employee experience. Our unique platform and wearable unifies people—producing cohesive teams and peers who bring out the best in each other. Ander uses a combination of an online platform, wearables, and real-world activity to build relationships, promote health, increase productivity, and lower costs. We help employees thrive and companies prosper—helping teams live stronger. And play harder. And work smarter.
We focus on how to best serve individual users by nurturing genuine connections, harmonizing work and life, and driving measurable behavior change. Our platform provides the tools and information to boost employee participation and simplify compliance—all without taxing employer resources. A customizable ecosystem of learning, challenges, and rewards engages employees in meaningful ways to help them to maximize their individual goals and outcomes.
The Data Engineer uses data to oversee, nurture, and drive Ander’s community, product, and business strategy. Identify opportunities, synthesize data, and communicate to and empower the Ander team through timely, validated, actionable data, visualization, and analysis. The Data Engineer will strive to ensure Ander meets the highest data quality standards and demonstrates uncompromising adherence to data privacy regulations.
- Effectively engage internal and external stakeholders in the process of understanding and actioning Ander’s data.
- Turn problems into projects, information into intelligence, and insight into business decisions that drive engagement.
- Engineer, deploy, integrate, document, maintain, and scale cloud-based data science systems.
- Research, recommend, and implement new systems and infrastructures.
- Increase efficiency through automation and configuration optimizations.
- Collaborate on a team, including outsourced engineers, to develop ETL processes on a variety of structured and unstructured sources.
- Contribute to a future-ready, high quality, durable, and performant code base and analytics toolset.
- Proficient enough in DevOps to configure and maintain your own dev and test environments—don’t mind getting your hands dirty with system admin.
- Stay current with best practices in data quality management, including adherence to data privacy laws and regulations.
- BA/BS in CS or Information Systems
- 4-7 years experience in engineering with an emphasis in data science environments.
- Database design and querying (e.g. SQL, MySQL)
- Big Data pipelines and processing (e.g. MapReduce, Hadoop, Big Query, Hive, Tez, Spark)
- Statistical programing languages (e.g. Python, R)
- Experience with object oriented design and building backend applications with REST API
- Experience developing and utilizing supervised and semi-supervised ML to deliver results for real-world problems and applications.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, genuine curiosity, analytical thinking, fastidiousness, high pattern recognition, and the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment.
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering best practices (Agile software development, test-driven development, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, continuous integration).
- Commitment to precision. Passion for results.
Additional Preferred Competencies
- Experience in Oracle or Snowflake
- Knowledge or experience with streaming event logs (e.g. Kafka, GCP Cloud Pub/Sub, SNS/SQS)
- Experience in frontend development (e.g. AngularJS, D3.js, HTML, CSS, AngularJS, KnockoutJS or ReactJS, EJS, Jinja)
- Experience in GCP or other public cloud products.
- Experience in solution architecture within web and mobile environments (e.g. SaaS, PaaS, IaaS)
- Background or experience in people-data, healthcare, finance, economics, social analytics, AdTech, MarTech, or game development.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. Ander is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.