Content (Experience) Designer
Ander reimagines the employee experience. Our unique platform unifies people, producing cohesive teams and peers who bring out the best in each other. It promotes health, increases productivity, and lowers costs. We help employees thrive and companies prosper — helping your team live stronger. And play harder. And work smarter
We focus on how to best serve individual users by nurturing genuine connections, harmonizing work and life, and driving measurable behavior change. Our platform provides the tools and information to boost employee participation and simplify compliance—all without taxing your resources. A customizable ecosystem of learning, challenges, and rewards engages your employees in meaningful ways to help them to maximize their individual goals and outcomes.
As a Content or Experience Designer, you understand how a game works as entertainment for its customers, and ensure that experiences are meaningful and fun, increasing engagement and influencing behavior. You also provide storytelling and narrative experiences through discreet activities, challenges, quests and interactions. To do this pre-release, you’re able to write and storyboard chains of interactions that lead to fun rewards and increased participation and test them with data models. Once the game is launched, you’re able to analyze actual gameplay and correct friction points or missed elements to maximize participation and engagement.
What we’re looking for
You are looking to get in on the ground floor of a well-funded startup with a proven leadership team. You have 3-5 or more years’ experience as a game or installation designer, focused on content and storytelling with…
- Passion for creating engaging, innovative, emotional and transformative experiences, both through digital and real-world touchpoints.
- Discipline and tenacity; a habit of both dreaming and doing; a knack for diverging and converging; an ability to thrive in the worlds of order and disorder alike.
- Practice encompassing both creation and implementation – the two faces of innovation, both critical to our mission’s success.
- Contributions to design of story and events to realize the vision of a Creative Director.
- Storylines that people experience…whether digitally or in the real-world…such as making video game maps, zones, events, puzzles, questlines or experiences such as haunted houses, educational installations, puzzle rooms, live dungeon crawls and so on.
- Writing and iterating on story and experience details covering goals, events, points of interest, with an emphasis on presenting the information in easy-to-understand formats via mobile apps.
- Ability to turn those details into compelling gameplay or experiences, especially in openended and real-world circumstances.
- Clear and effective creative writing, grammar rules, storytelling, narrative standards, experience or gameplay design ideas, and scene description to wide varieties of individuals and perspectives.
- Experience in data driven development, working collaboratively with data scientists. o Experience working in highly collaborative and iterative team environment that includes external development partners.
- Experience in pen and paper RPGs or live-action RPGs, MMOs, and so on.
- Experience delivering across multiple platforms, whether digital (e.g. iOS, Android, web), traditional (e.g. books, installations, rides, haunted houses) and events.
What you’ll be doing
- Create visionary demos and prototypes, which establish and drive experiences and interaction concepts from idea to scaled application.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders, whether client, community managers, sales, key account managers, operations, developers or others to obtain knowledge of the service requirements.
- Work closely with internal and external development teams to craft stories and experiences people will play out in the real world.
- Work closely with the internal Production, Art, Design, Engineering teams to deliver on an industry-defining engagement experience.
- Lead content design by designing, documenting, developing and deploying engaging experiences.
- Create fun, AAA quality play through engaging experiences in the most open world there is – the real one.
- Write “missions” or “quest” activities that are fun, challenging and fit into and enhance everyday life.
- Translate playtest and data feedback into iterative improvements.
- Assist in scoping work and achieving milestones in an Agile environment.
What you’ll bring to the table
- 3-5 or more years’ experience as Content, Experience or Installation Designer or Lead.
- Proven track record for delivering both quality and innovation in player-pleasing storylines or other content
- Demonstrable sense of level design, scale, pacing and storytelling flow and standards
- Demonstrable background in hands-on evaluation and feedback of game mechanics and player input.
- Experience working with many other digital-development disciplines and a team player, including with external development partners.
- B.A. or related experience
- An awareness of current trends in employee engagement, games, design and software development.
- Knowledge of the software and applications involved in the creative process.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A self-starting attitude and an open outlook, with resilience under pressure and against deadlines.
- Ideally, also…
- Passion for playing and making games and an excellent understanding of what makes them fun.
- Experience with rapid prototyping, hardware development and manufacturing and/or data-driven design and development.
- Entertainment industry experience in another discipline (programming, art, production, audio, editing, directing, etc.).
Required Application Materials
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating relevant art direction and/or artistic skills
- An art test and/or additional artistic sample material may be required
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. Ander is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.